The Trades Hall, located off the South West side of Spittal Street, was formerly used as a meeting-place for the members of the Incorporated Trades. It became associated with Spittal’s Hospital.
Spittal’s Hospital, the oldest of the Stirling charitable endowments, originated with Robert Spittal, tailor to King James IV.
Around 1530 Robert Spittal bequeathed certain lands to be held in trust to the town council. The income derived from them applied to the support of decayed members of the seven incorporated trades.